Tuesday, November 4, 2008

She would have loved this

At 5:50 this morning, I checked my email on my way out the door.
This was waiting for me...

I confess...I get a bit crazy every fours years at election time. Blame it on Grandma Betty. I can remember walking with her to go vote. She couldn't wait for your Grandpa to come home - to her, the important things couldn't wait. Such as it was with that generation - raised during the Depression and matured by a World War.

So go vote today - vote for the persons/issues of your choice - vote and enjoy every minute of it - vote and think of your Grandma...if she were here, she would have loved this campaign. I can just hear her say - "he seems like such a nice young man" "I don't where he finds the energy at 72" "wow, she's fiesty" "you know, I've always liked Joe Biden"

Love,
Dad

With tears in my eyes, I grabbed my keys and went to vote. And, as I stood in that line, I thought of her.

8 comments:

MmeBenaut said...

Congratulations Terroni on your new President. I've just watched his victory speech on TV. It is indeed a new era. I am soaking this up. It is fantastic!

Your Dad's note about your Grandma was beautiful.

Susanlee said...

Aw you made me cry. After Obama made me cry and then my dad, who voted for the first time in *years* today, and for Obama too. I'm so proud,

dive said...

That's beautiful, T.
Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful legacy. And what a wonderful day.

j-dub said...

from your twitter: "I'm going to bed with a new president"

:)

sorry, couldn't resist.

Gitz 'n Jo said...

What a beautiful sentiment from your dad and legacy for your grandma...

Terroni said...

jw, and that's how a girl gets a reputation, isn't it?

i shall endeavor to be a bit more precise (or discreet) in future tweets.

Maria said...

I voted ahead of time. Because I can. It is so easy to fill out that form and mail it in.

I think that your grandmother sounds as if she would have LOVED this, I agree. I know that I really enjoyed the whole process. I work in what is known in my city as "the hood" and the polling place was in a building across the street. When I got to work at 8:00...there was a LINE around the block. I walked by a woman who owns the grocery store next door and she commented that she has been in her store for 20 years and had NEVER seen a line to vote.

Yes!