Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Eve

I’m dog sitting for Blake and Evan.

It’s 10:30, and I’m in bed—their bed—with their puppy, Rhee. I could make all sorts of snide remarks about spending New Year's snuggled up with an aging, slightly overweight, bald in patches, nearly toothless Dachshund in a bed that belongs to a couple of gay guys. But, to be honest, I’m lizard on a heat rock happy right now.

As I was walking Rhee tonight, I got a few curious looks from some girls who were running out to catch a cab. They were in short, tight dresses, 3 inch eye makeup, and 4 inch heels. I was in flannel pants, a hoodie, old clogs, and one of the boys’ baseball caps. We sized each other up. They sighed in pity. I laughed a little under my breath. You couldn’t pay either of us to trade shoes.

Been there, done that. Sometimes, I even love that. But, not tonight.

Tonight, it’s quiet. The sheets are warm. The dog is cuddly.
And this is happy new year.

6 comments:

Eric said...

About as exciting as mine. Happy new year, T.

dive said...

Happy New Year, T!

secret agent woman said...

Hope their are many more lizard on a heat rock happy days for you in the coming year.

Maria said...

We had our first New Year's Eve party this year and I got very intoxicated and sang karaoke. If someone had made a documentary about this party, I would have been the aging cougar who should not have tried to get away wearing those heels. Luckily, Bing pulled me into her lap so that I couldn't further embarrass myself by playing Twister. I think your quiet celebration beat mine by a landslide.

Vic said...

Happy New Year, T. Early in the night I tried to pass out on the lounge outside, but my flatmate woke me by pressing a shot glass into my hand. It only delayed the passing out process. I think yours sounds a little more comfy than waking up at 5am with an incredibly sore back and a beer still in your hand!

MmeBenaut said...

Ah, Happy New Year Terroni. A little dachsund as a foot warmer is rather cute. I usually have a burmese cat but they are nearly the same colour.
I'm with you on the clogs - I wear "crocs" when I do the gardening and they are the most comfortable shoes that I own. I can't wear high heels at all any more.