Sunday, January 27, 2008

A note to me

A few days ago, Maria posted a letter to her 17 year old self. I thought, What a great idea.

Dear T at 17,
You know how you're thinking maybe you'll go to med school, or maybe you won't, or maybe you will, or maybe you won't? Well, I'm not going to tell you how that one turns out. Why not? Because in the long process of figuring it out, you're going to learn so much about yourself; and all of that will serve you well when you do or do not finally go to med school.

In a few years, someone is going to get on one knee and ask you a question. This puts you in perfect position to answer him...with a good, swift kick in the balls.

Then, go on vacation...alone. Sound lonely? It is a little bit. But, you'll find you really enjoy spending time with just you. And, in time, you'll learn that you have to be okay all on your own before you can be with someone else.

Finally, on a less glamorous note, you may want to learn how to check and refill your coolant. This will come in handy as you're about to have a series of used cars that overheat frequently.

Love,
T 10 years older

11 comments:

Maria said...

The thing is...I have read lots of blogs (including my own) and the biggest warnings always seem to be about just saying no to that one person.

I read a couple of blogs that also said that they plain flat out refused to warn themselves about this or that...that the experience taught them a lot, etc. My first thought was "if someone had the chance to go back and tell themselves NOT to step off that curb because they would get hit by a mack track, they would be INSANE not to want to do it." Some experiences don't change us for the better, they change us for the worse.

Maria said...

umm...meant a mack TRUCK. But, a mack track could sting too, I suppose....

Susanlee said...

I think my 17 year old self would be disappointed with the 26.5 year old me.

Maria said...

And, wanted to let you know that I didn't publish your comment in my blog, but I did read it. No sense giving that asshat someone else to target....

nina michelle said...

I think I would tell myself to go to school. That no matter how many times I have sex with a man it will never feel right and I should do some heavy duty thinking about that. And the minute you have money, buy shares of Amazon.

dive said...

Wise words, T.

Anonymous said...

dear josh mark 17: talk to girls, they like you. and don't wear tee-shirts all the damn time, ok? you and i both know you're not cut out for a career, so just do whatever you feel like, whenever. maybe josh mark 50 will come tell us how that turns out.

CS said...

Oh, I like that letter. I'm definitely going to do that. Although it wsa much, much longer ago for me.

j-dub said...

thanks for the idea (and thanks maria). It was fun.

Anonymous said...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, isn't it?

Neponset River Bridge Dig said...

great post - sounds like a therapy session I've had in the past.