Saturday, February 9, 2008

It's just a nasty virus

That's what I tell kids and their parents all day, every day.

They say, "I was really tired. And then I got the snot--first in my nose, and then my ears. And now my throat hurts. And my tummy hurts. And I'm sore all over. And I'm still really tired."

I look 'em over and then say, "I think that this is probably just a nasty virus. You need to cover your mouth when you cough, please."

I add that last line right after they cough. On me. They all cough on me. I duck and weave, but they're younger and faster. They hit me every time.

Today, I was really tired. And then I got the snot...and you get the point.
It's just a nasty virus.

5 comments:

Maria said...

I read a truly scary article in Discover magazine this month about avian flu....

And, tis the time for those viruses. Liv has had it, nearly a third of her class (including her beloved teacher who was out for a solid week and two days!) too.

I volunteer at her school twice a week and last week, this little pre-schooler actually WIPED his nose on my shoulder. I was nearly sick to my stomach....

You'll catch everything and then after a few years, will find yourself weirdly protected from everything...because you have HAD it all....

Anonymous said...

The pirest at a church I used to go to said he caught most of his viruses from children who talk to him "with moisture."

Susanlee said...

I know they recommend soup, but I'd say to grab yourself a hot toddy. I'll bring the honey if you grab the whiskey?

dive said...

Please keep your nasty virus on your own side of the Pond, T.

Shit … You'll probably sneeze into an envelope and mail it to me now.

Anonymous said...

Takes more than a nasty virus to keep a good woman down, Terroni. I think Susan has the remedy.