Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Home again

I went to Northern California for an interview on Monday. Flew back last night. With a couple of lay overs and a delayed plane, it was an all night extravaganza. When people say, Oh, I just love to travel, nights like that one are not what they're referring to.

I have spent August days roofing houses and gone home feeling less disgusting than I did after spending the night in that airplane. Something about greeting the morning (and its fermented breath) with 150 people separated by nothing but a bunch of tiny, grungy used pillows, all their toothbrushes buried in the overhead compartments...

Just thinking about it makes me want to take a hot shower in Listerine.

The trip was not all bitching and moaning, though. Monday afternoon found me sitting on a bench. Outside. Eating an ice cream cone. In JANUARY. I thought of you, Maria. In fact, I briefly considered calling you to tell you all about it. But, I seem to remember you kindly requesting that I no longer do that when I'm stinkin' drunk...and I was stinkin' drunk on that ice cream.

More on all of that later. Right now, I'm heading to my bed (ahh, that just sounds nice) to rest up for a long day of nephrology tomorrow. I anticipate a lot of time spent drawing the nephron on the backs of paper towels, trying to figure out where my patients' electrolytes went. And that will be almost as much fun as sitting on a bench. Outside. Eating an ice cream cone. In JANUARY.

6 comments:

Maria said...

You lucky little snot.

j-dub said...

mmm...electrolyte ice cream. It'll be the next big thing.

Susanlee said...

Move to California!! We're moving to Sacramento!! We can eat beach ice cream together!! (feeling manic)

Susanlee said...

*laughs* Not for awhile, 2 years...when Justin finishes school.

nina michelle said...

i have to draw in detail how neurotransmitters "transmit" themselves from venicals through the synaptic cleft do-hicky and attach to the receptors. I also have to explain that not all those neurotransmitters find their way back through the reuptake thingy to their cozy little venical. I need to explain why some float away or get eaten by an enzyme that looks sorta like pac-man...

wish me luck... i have to do this on Monday without using the words "do-hicky", "thingy", or "Pac-man"

what flavor was that ice cream Dr. T?

Terroni said...

chocolate with chocolate chip.
and luck...buckets of it.