Monday, January 12, 2009

Wednesday

Ahh, a day off.

The only thing on my to do list for Wednesday was to get a haircut and to try and figure out where the hell I was going on Thursday. The haircut was my first priority, as I was starting to sort of look like an embattled Illinois governor. Except, somehow crazier. I found a woman on the Upper West Side that only charges $50. That may sound ridiculous, but for Manhattan, it is close to charity. The woman may well write me off on her taxes.

I got an amazing cut when I was in New York this summer. Ever since then, things have sort of gone downhill. Lately, when the wind blew the wrong way, a long, wild piece of hair would whip off my head and point in the direction of approaching cold fronts. I looked like a middle aged man who can't keep his comb-over under control. It was worth 50 bucks to get my head to quit acting like it worked for the weather channel.

I spent the rest of the cold, rainy afternoon reading art and photography books in a Barnes and Noble. I know what you're thinking, of all the bookstores in New York, why on earth would you frequent a Barnes and Noble? Well, two reasons really: First, it was very close to a subway stop, and I just didn't have it in me to walk one step further in the freezing rain. Second, the Barnes and Noble in New York has whole floors of books that my local chain bookstore does not. Here, you're much more likely to find a calendar featuring the life and times of the Amish than you are a great photography book. So, in spite of the fact that I was frequenting the Walmart of bookstores, I had a lovely afternoon.

2 comments:

MmeBenaut said...

I think you should describe the new haircut!

And a bookstore afternoon? Sounds like bliss to me too.

Maria said...

The best haircut I ever received was at a little place in Iowa where I stopped in because I just could not STAND my hair anymore. Who knew that such an artist lives in Tiny Town, Iowa.