Sunday, March 11, 2007

The tale sans fairies

I was in the car with my aunt the other day, returning from dinner, and the subject of marriage came up. I got the impression that she wanted to know more about the recent ending of mine but didn't want to pry.
As I was talking to her, I said, "If I ever do it (marriage) again, it will be totally different." I'm not sure that she know what I meant by that. I was referring to the fact that the way I think about constructing my life has completely changed. I used to think about finding a husband and building a life--a home, kids, career, future plans--with him. Now, it's just the opposite. I think about building my life--my home, a child (perhaps), career, future plans--and then someday, many years from now, finding someone who has built his own.
A man who may become a partner.
I no longer want to be rescued by a knight in shiny shit. That whole asking my father for my hand in marriage crap is absolutely offensive (as though I'm an exchange of property). In fact, I don't even want someone to get down on one knee. If I ever do the marriage thing again, it will start with a discussion between two adults about forming a partnership.

It doesn't read like a fairy tale, but it sounds like a dream come true to me.

No comments: